About the Idaho Falls Arts Council
Since its founding in 1990, the Idaho Falls Arts Council has committed to hosting an array of events, arts, performances, and venues to feature local and international talent within Idaho Falls and its surrounding areas. Now consisting of the Willard Arts Center, the historic Colonial Theater, the ARTitorium, and the Civic Center, these settings provide the means to have an annual impact of $2.7 million on the local community in the form of art galleries, 10 - 16 mainstage shows, 8 visual arts exhibitions, and community events all year long. The continued support of its staff members and volunteers accommodate the thousands of individuals who partake in the local arts community.
Support the Idaho Falls Arts Council
Get Involved or Attend an Event
Take Center Stage!
Colonial Theater Rental Services
The original 1919 vaudeville theater, and later movie house, has been fully refurbished for modern stage and film presentations. The lobby and the theater have retained historic art deco details like the black and white tile, elaborate crown molding, and the swooping proscenium ornamentation. The theater seats 998.
The Idaho Falls Arts Council can provide concession services, including wine, beer, soda, water, and select snacks in the Carr Gallery.
The lobby is included in the rental of the theater, but other spaces may incur additional costs.
Historic Colonial Theater
Built by C.A. Spath, cashier of the Farmers and Merchants Bank; Dr. C.M. Cline, physician and S.K. Mittry, contractor: the Colonial Theater opened on November 10, 1919, at a cost of just over $175,000. It boasted one of the largest stages in the Intermountain West, a modern ramp (in lieu of stairs) to the balcony, a ventilation system, which circulated fresh air every five minutes and superb acoustics. Traveling vaudeville acts and minstrels entertained, as well as musical acts like John Phillips Sousa.
In 1929, it was renamed the Paramount Theater and began showing moving pictures. Sadly, it fell into disrepair in the late 1980’s and was closed.
In 1994, Dick Clayton, Sr. and his son Steve donated the theater to the Idaho Falls Arts Council, a private nonprofit organization.
The Idaho Falls Arts Council launched a capital campaign, known as the Phantom project. An anonymous donor challenged the community to raise half of the total cost and the Phantom would donate the remaining. The successful $4.2 million dollar campaign renovated the Colonial Theater and the adjacent buildings into a beautiful visual and performing arts center for the region.
Renamed for the Phantom donors, Miles and Virginia Willard, who also chaired the campaign, the Willard Arts Center now contains a visual arts building with galleries, classrooms, artist studios, meeting spaces for events, and much more.
Today the 988 seat Colonial Theater is one of three large theaters of historical significance which still remain in Idaho. In 2014 alone, the Colonial Theater played host to over 25,000 patrons.